Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 30 - Sub-roof Part 1

It seems like I would never got to the time to put the roof on Grandpa's, but today was the day to start the process!  Here are the sub-roof parts.  You will notice that the ones on the left are painted gray, while the ones on the right are unpainted.  I would like to say that there is a very good reason for this....but I just forgot to paint the ones on the right!  This isn't a problem because they are sealed with 6 coats of mate spray and won't show once the shingles are installed.  I cut the pieces from the sheet and trim any tabs.



What's this? - black paint?  No, it's my own custom "tar" which is made from Api's "Incredibly Tacky" all purpose glue and water based craft paint.  I don't have a formula, but just keep adding black and mixing until it's black enough.  I use this formula with white added to make aged (dark gray) tar for roof.  We're going to use it for something else here.


First I dry fit the roof pieces to see how they fit.  I don't need to worry about gaps as the shingles will cover them - just like with a real house roof!  The hole in the center top will be for the chimney.


Since Kevin insisted that I light the interior (just kidding, Kevin) I'll need to try and seal up any light leaks.  Here I've attached a piece of black electrical tape to the underside of a sub-roof section.  It will mate with the other roof section to provide a light seal and a surface for my tar.



Here I add the tar to the mating surfaces for the sub-roof panel.  I have to be careful because if this stuff squeezes out to the outside it will really show and have to be touched up.


With both sub-roof panels in place I tar the seam.  The black electricians tape keeps the tar from falling through into the interior.


Now I repeat the process for the long main sub-roof panels by first adding the tape.  The notch at the bottom is for the light wires to pass through.  The notch on the top......well, we won't talk about that notch.  I think that you can figure out what happened.


Here both of the long main sub-roof panels are installed and tar has been added.


It's breakfast time on Saturday and we have two house showings today, so I'll have to call it quits.  Stay tuned for more exciting sub-roof installation!

No comments:

Post a Comment