Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 34 - Shingles Part 2

I am 100% convinced that I could probably shingle a REAL house in less time than it's going to take me to shingle Grandpa's!  In any event I finished the back / side porch shingles.



I decided for the back main roof to pre-cut the shingle strips all at once before starting the application.  Here you can see two groups: (A) and (B).  The only difference between the groups is the offset.



Here I've combined the two groups into one group that is A , B, A, B, A, B - well you get the idea.



The kit directions suggested drawing lines on the sub-roof to help keep the shingles square.  I didn't worry about the lines being an exact distance apart since they are for reference only and not for alignment to the lines.



Here I've started in installation process using white glue to attach the shingles and lining up the gaps between every other row of shingles.


Fast forward about 30 minutes and here's the result.  Oh, did I mentioned that I completed the back kitchen roof and roof cap?  I'll weather the roof cap later once all caps are installed.



We'll need "sheet metal" valleys for the areas where the angles meet.  I use the suggested spare pieces that are the borders of the sheets of shingles.  I cut the piece to length and fold it in half over my steel ruler.  The piece get glued in place with white glue.



Here's a close-up of one of the valleys.



These sheet metal valleys will need some weathering.  I use gray, brown, and rust red paints dry bushed on  to give them the well weathered look.  Keep in mind that the majority of the valleys will be covered by the shingles.



Here's the structure with more of the roofing added.



What's going on here?  It's an experiment to see if I can sort of "pre-assemble" shingles in sections and then glue the entire section in place.  If this works I will first make a template of the roof area I want to shingle.  Next I would assemble the shingles on a piece of blue low stick tape.  After the glue drys I would remove the blue tape and put my template on top of the shingles and mark the final dimensions.  Finally I would cut the assembled shingle section to size and glue in on the roof.  If this works I believe it would be much easier than cutting and gluing the shingle strips one-by-one and give a better finished product.


Stay tuned for even more shingle fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment