Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 36 - Shingles Part 4

More shingle fun!  I first cut out the card stock template for the area to be shingled.  I've added reference lines for shingle alignment.



A test fit shows that the piece is ready for shingles.  The piece is sized to allow for the valley to be visible - just like a real roof.



Fifteen minutes later I've got all of the shingles glued to the card stock.  It doesn't look like much here



Here's the view of the underside showing the white card stock.



Here is the piece with the shingles trimmed.  During trimming it is very important to hold the steel ruler down firmly while trimming so the ruler doesn't move.



Here's the section white glued in place on the sub-roof.



Now I'll repeat the process for the next roof section.  First the card stock piece.  Here I've cut it, added reference lines, and test fit it.



Fast forward 20 minutes all of the shingles have been glued to the card stock.



This is a view of the same place from the underside.



And the piece with the shingles trimmed.



Here's the shingle assembly glued to the sub-roof.  I need to take a break before proceeding.  Why?  Because I'm tired of shingling!


You can see that I have two more pieces to complete the shingled main roof.  Although the instructions and pictures that come with the kit show a shingled front porch I am going to "tar paper" the front porch roof with 400 grit sandpaper.  The reasons are two fold: 1.) The slope is too gentle for shingles; and 2.) I believe that it will look better than shingles.  Stay tuned for Shingles Part 5!

4 comments:

  1. Looking soooooo good Rick! I am making a trip to mom's house in a couple of weeks and I will see if I can find a photo of the real Grandpa Sam's just for fun. You are rockin' this kit my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    I'm glad that you like the progress. I'm a little scared about seeing a photo of the prototype as the two won't match and you may become disenchanted with the kit.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nonsense Rick my friend. It already brings back memories looking at it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,

    Thank you - I just don't want to disappoint as I know this is not a cheap kit. BTW, Walthers(tm) does have it on sale right now! I am getting close to completion and should be done by the end of this century! ;-o

    Rick

    ReplyDelete