Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 33 - Shingles

No, not those painful kind that can make your life miserable, but the asphalt type that keep you dry.  The very good news is the folks at Branchline Trains replaced the cheesy looking plastic shingle panels with laser cut paper shingles.  Here's what they look like:



This is a closer view of the shingles.  There is a variation in the colors of the shingles due to the cutting process as the laser browns some of them when cutting.  I'll add more variation for more interest.



Since all of my stuff is packed away I head to the wife's craft room (with her permission!) to borrow her colored pencils.  I don't need all of the colors, but if I don't take the lot I'll lose the ones I borrow!



After some experimentation on the shingle paper I choose a few colors.



Next I lightly color the shingles using random patterns and all of the colors.  Less is more here!



It's hard to see the results (that's a good thing) but there are more variations in the shingle colors.



I always read the instructions on structure even if I've done the process before as there might be something new and it reinforces what I already know.  The instructions are somewhat generic as you can see they are not for this particular kit.



Here's some of the important part: Overlap and line up the shingles correctly.



Before cutting the shingles into individual strips I mark a line on the edge to make sure that the right side is up (the side I colored with the pencils).  Here I'm test fitting the first row on the back porch.  Just like with real roofing you start at the bottom and work up.  I had to notch out the area where the corner trim is.  I make sure to overlap the porch roof edges.



Here you can see where I trimmed for the corner edging.



Four strips of shingles down and about a ga-zillion to go (for the entire roof)!


Up next will be lots more shingles!

No comments:

Post a Comment