Saturday, May 26, 2012

Posting No. 42 - Touchup (Round 1) Complete

Boy, the devil is in the detail!  I made progress in that I fixed the areas noted in round one of touch up.  Before final completion (did I say that?) I'll have to make a round two inspection and repair.

Remember that gap in the front porch?  Here you can see it clearer from the bottom.  Can viewers see it from the top? - maybe, so it's got to be fixed.



Here is the piece of strip wood that I cut to fit the area and painted gray.



And here the piece is glued in position in the gap.  That's one problem fixed and a bunch more to go.



Now on to the gaps & painting issues.  I know that this is a wood structure; however, the modeler uses materials that he has at hand so I snuck in styrene strips to cover gaps.  I just happen to have some scale 1" x 6" stock which will work perfectly.  Wood strips this size would be very fragile and break easily.  The first thing I do with the strips is paint them with a gray undercoat and then apply my "dirty white" top coat.



Remember that long gap in this corner? - styrene strip and CA adhesive to the rescue!



My good friend and excellent modeler Scott Perry suggested that I cover this gap on the porch with a hanging fern. While that is an imaginative and excellent idea I went with the easy way out - styrene strip!



All four of the eves had problems with gaps where the roof panels met.  I applied styrene strips to the areas using CA adhesive.  While I was at it I painted any areas with dirty white that needed touch up.






 


I also used some putty to fill the holes at the very top of the gables and coated the repair with dirty white paint.


What's next?  Well, I'll have to give that some thought.  I need to assemble some chairs, paint the storm cellar doors, install the steps and then I want to create a simple diorama for outdoor pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment