Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Posting No. 47 - Give Me Some Static!

Static grass, that is.  I'm taking the time to build a little diorama for photos before I ship this off to Kevin.  I don't plan on sending the diorama to Kevin, but will keep it for future photos.  I started by shaping a piece of 2" thick foam, painted it earth color, and glued on a mixture of ground foams.

What is the white piece of paper on the foam?  It's cut out as the shape of the structure so that when it is removed the structure will "nestle down" on the foam rather than sitting on top of the static grass.  If I don't do this I have to end up scraping away the static grass in the area of the house after it's dried and that's a pain.



I used my homemade "Grass-O-Matic" static grass applicator to first add a layer of 2mm (6" HO scale) long "late summer green" using a 50/50 mix of white glue/water.



I went back and added here and there a mix of 2/4/6mm static grass of various colors to add some different texture.  I then took a screwdriver and randomly pressed down the grass all over to give it a more realistic look.








Here I've removed the paper piece since the glue has worked its way under and would be a real joy to try and take it off once dried.  You can see the area were the house will sit.


Boy, am I tempted to put Grandpa's house on the diorama right away!  Not a good idea as it will get glue on the bottom.  I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the glue to dry.  Once the glue is dry I'll place the house on the diorama for the balance of landscaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment