Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 35 - Shingles Part 3

Shingle work continues on the sub-roof with working on the front areas.  As I stated in a previous post on this blog I though that I would try out a new style of applying shingles.  Here I cut out a template from card stock for the area.  If I had this idea when I started the kit I would have just traced around the wood sub-roof part before attaching in to the roof.  For this piece of card stock I measured the roof, transferred the measurements to the card stock and then cut it out.



Here I test the piece in the area.  It fit fairly well but needed some addition trimming.



I was actually going to transfer to the pattern to a piece of blue low stick painters tape and then after the shingles were all glued together remove the tape and glue the shingle assembly directly on the sub-roof.  Then it occurred to me - why not glue the shingles on the card stock and then glue the card stock directly on the roof?  Here I've drawn reference lines on the card stock and check the final fit.  I want to leave a gap for the metal (rusted) valley to show through.




Fast forward about 30 minutes and here you can see the shingles glued to the card stock.  I purposely didn't worry about overhang as I'll trim everything at once.



This is a view from below of the shingles glued to the card stock.



This is the shingle assembly after trimming the edges.  I left a little overhang in the areas where the shingles will hang over the edges of the roof.  I've got to saw that this method was MUCH easier and faster than trimming and gluing the individual shingle strips directly to the sub-roof!



I applied a very thin layer of white glue to the wood sub-roof and to the back of the card stock shingle assembly and then applied the assembly to the sub-roof.  I had plenty of time to position the assembly in the correct place and held it in place with my "Five Digit Universal Clamp Device" (my hand) until the glue set.



Here's another picture of the roof with the shingles applied.


So, you say that you can't get enough of that shingling?  Well, state tuned for Part 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment