Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Posting No. 39 - Front Porch Final Roofing

**** Notice that I changed the Post Title from "Day - XX" to "Posting No. XX" as "Day" is misleading - and my good friend Scott Perry keeps ribbing me on how long this is taking! ****

After careful consideration I decided to "tar paper" the front porch roof because of its very slight angle and to give a different look than the shingles on the main roof.

I started by cutting masking tape in scale 4ft widths and then applied the strips to the sub-roof overlapping the sections and offsetting the seams.



I've read arguments saying don't use masking tape as it will peel up after time.  I've used masking tape for this process for over four years and yet to have any peeling.  I do make sure that I burnish the tape thoroughly to the surface using the non sharp end of my hobby knife and toothpicks for areas I can't reach with the hobby knife.  Here's another picture of the "tar paper" ready for paint.



I used Poly Scale(tm) F414137 "Grimy Black" to paint the first coat on the tape.  Notice that I don't try for full coverage here.



Here's the roof with the second (and final) coat of Grimy Black.


Just like the regular main shingled roof we don't want any leaks.  Here I've used my tar (described in earlier posts here) to seal the seams and junction where the roofing attaches to the walls.



This roof would be satisfactory if it was just installed in the last month or so, but since it's been on for years we need to weather it.  I use my gray, brown & white weathering powders to age it.



Here's another picture of the roofing.  You might notice that the tar where the roof meets the walls isn't as weathered.  That is because the sun isn't beating straight down on it like the tar paper.  I may add more weathering on it later if I so decide or leave it up to Kevin.


Next up it is inspection time!  I will look closely at the model to see areas that need touch up, patch up, etc...I know that I've got some work to do there to "kick it up a notch".

No comments:

Post a Comment