Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 02 - Spraying the parts

Thin wood loves one thing above all else - to warp!  Today we'll try to reduce the warping.

So, what's this?  Well, since I'm going to be taking photos and possible doing an article later I set up my handy-dandy tripod light.  The kit I bought had (2) two of what you see here and was only $59.00!  The bulb is a 85w 5100K unit that will help with the lighting of the project.  I don't have room to set up both of them in this area, but more light is better light.


Back to the warping thing.  I'll use this spray can of Krylon(tm) Matte Finish clear coating to coat the wood.
Why this particular brand and matte instead of flat?  Because it is what I just happen to have.


Safety warning!:  Always spray in an open area and use appropriate safety gear when using any hazardous substance (like spray finish).  O.K., we got that out of the way!  I have a line set up out back and use clothes pins to hold the walls on the line.  I sprayed each part with (6) six light coats of the matte spray.  NOTE:  It's important to use light coats or you could warp the wood just with the spray.  Didn't I say that wood loves to warp?

Now we have to wait for the coating to dry before moving on.  I could do more, but I'm a great believer of not rushing things and will let the matte coating dry overnight.  Let your nose be your friend - if you can still smell the coating, then it's not completely dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment