Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 19 - Foundation Painting

Today I worked on painting the foundation.  It is a laser cut plastic sheet with self-adhesive stick-em on the back.  Here's the way it looks as supplied:



The first thing I did was clean the surface with a damp cloth.  I couldn't wash it in the sink with soap and water as I normally do because of the self-adhesive backing.  After it was dry I painted it with a dark gray and then painted it with Poly Scale "Concrete".  When painting with the concrete color I didn't try for a consistent coat as I want variation in the coloring.








 Next I applied Testors Flat tan using the dry brush technique and again trying for variation in the coverage
 At this stage it looks a little too brownish, but I'll fix that with the gray coats I'll added next.




  Here I've mixed some of my Testors "dirty white" with gray to have a medium-dark gray color.  It is applied using dry brushing

.


I continue to add 3 more dry brush coats of tans and grays going from darker to lighter.  You can see it's starting to get some character.




So, when to stop?  Well, I believe that this will do it.  Here's the finished product.



And here's a closeup shot of the stone foundation ready to go.


.The next step will be to apply the foundation to the structure, fill any gaps, and touch up painting of the completed foundation.




No comments:

Post a Comment