Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 21 - Front Porch Railings & Roof

What you DO see here is the front porch railing installed and being clamped with handy-dandy clothes pins.  What you DON'T see if the hour I spend using the blade of my hobby knife to paint the area in between each vertical piece that didn't get painted when I painted the railings while they were still in the sheet.  And did I say that I managed somehow to stab myself in the finger with that very same #11 blade?  If was fun trying to keep the blood off of the white paint!  Oh, Kevin - the sacrifices that I make for you! :-)



Now that the glue is dry off come the clamps.



Next it's time for the porch ceiling.  I had to do some trimming and  sanding to make it fit snugly to the house.  Here I'm adding a support rib that will hold up the roof.



The roof section for the front porch is supplied flat with score lines.  The instructions say to bend the roof at the score lines to get the proper profile.  Here's a picture of the panel after the bending.  How much to bend? - enough, but not too much!



This side view gives you an idea of the angle, which isn't very steep.  I hope the water will run off of this properly!



Just as with the ceiling panel I had to do some trimming to make the roof fit.  I can cover any gaps with the laser cut shingles that I'll add after all of the roofing substructure is in place.  The roof is held in place with the self-adhesive that comes on the back of the panel.  I apply clamps to apply pressure to insure that it stays stuck.



Here's the structure with the clamps off.  It's really starting to look like a home!    I can see that I'm going to have to paint the edge of the roof.  By the way, the Laser Art people forgot to do that on their model that is in the photo of the kit!


Next up I'll add the lattice work to the lower front of the porch.

2 comments: