Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 9 - Misc. this and that

Although I haven't finished painting I am tired of painting so I decided to jump ahead a little on the assembly directions and do some window assembly.  It's common for me to deviate from the directions when building a kit just as long as it doesn't cause any problems.

Here are the pieces to assemble one of the windows on the front wall.  Missing from the picture is the clear window glazing.  These pieces were previously painted when contained in the entire section for the front wall.  Once the pieces have been removed from the sheet with a hobby knife there is still more work that needs to be done before they are assembled into a unit.



The first thing I need to so is remove the "nub" from where the pieces were attached to the sheet.  I carefully use my hobby knife to do so being careful not to damage the pieces or cut my fingers!  I've seen craftsmen kits assembled where this wasn't done and believe it or not you can see those stupid "nubs".




Next I use a toothpick to apply dirty white paint to the edges of the pieces.  The same thing here is true as with the "nubs" - if you skip this step it will show!




Here I've added the window glazing to the lower sash and attached it to the lower part of the window frame and attached the glazing to the upper sash of the window frame.  The instructions say to add the outer most part of the window next, but for this picture it is just sitting on top of the window assembly.  Why?  Check out the next picture.



Here I'm test fitting the window assembly in the window opening before attaching the outer most part.  The reason I do this is that often some trimming is required to make it fit the opening.  That was the case with this assembly and it would be nearly impossible to do the trimming if I had already attached the outer part.  Now how did I know this very important little bit of information?  Because on my first build I followed the directions to the letter for ALL of the windows and many of them didn't fit!




I've just placed the outer most part on top of the window assembly to see how it looks.  I think that it's a winner!  Now once I get the main structure painted and all of the window pieces / parts painted and assembled I'll be able to mount the windows (and doors).


That's it for today.  Next up will be painting, more painting, and even more painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment