Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 14 - Screen Door

Kevin said that he remembered that his Grandpa Sam's place usually had the front door open (weather permitting) and that he had a screen door.  The Laser Arts kit didn't come with a screen door, so Vector Cut to the rescue! http://www.vectorcut.com/  I purchased their "Summer Breezes Screen Doors & Window Fans" set which they shipped promptly and I received yesterday.  The kit came with three different styles of screen doors, so I sent him the picture below asking if he wanted style "A", "B" or "C".  He replied that he remembered the screen door as being most like "B"



This is some excellent quality stuff!  I am also going to install one of the window fans from the sheet shown here.



The first order of business is to carefully cut out the selected door from the sheet using my hobby knife.



Next I paint it using my famous "dirty white" using a toothpick.



Did I mention that I didn't know how to install the screen?  No problem, as I emailed the good folks at Vector Cut asking for instructions.  Dave from Vector Cut answered me within an hour saying "So put a few small dots of white glue on the back side of the door frame, then drop it on to the mesh, make sure there's no wrinkles, then press it down between two flat surfaces for a minute or so.   You want the glue dots to be small enough that they don't ooze out too much.   When the glue is dry, use a sharp new blade to cut the ribbon along the edge of the frame."  Now that's what I call great customer service!


What's this?  I didn't want the screen / door sticking to the work surface so I used some handy no-stick aluminum foil.





Here I add just dabs of glue on the back of the frame.  I don't want to add too much as it will ooze out and be seen.





After applying the glue I flip the frame over, put in on the screen fabric, and weight it down why drying.




I couldn't take pictures and cut out the fabric at the same time, but I carefully used my new sharp blade to cut around the frame.  Here's the result with the fabric trimmed and glued in place.

.
For the sharp eyed you will notice that the screen is NOT to scale; however, it need to be this size to even be seen.  It will make a great looking addition to the structure!




No comments:

Post a Comment