Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 22 - Front Porch Lattice

I didn't have much time today to work on the project - maybe my good friend and fellow model railroader Scott Perry is right.  He said something about the Second Coming happening before I finish this kit!  Anyway, today I did make some progress!

Here are the parts for the lattice.  I had to use my hobby knife blade to paint in between all of the "rails" and this time I didn't even stick myself and draw blood!  That's amazing because I did the painting last night while watching TV.  Who says that I can't multi-task?







They are assembled in a stack to make the completed unit.  Here I've just stacked them temporarily so you can see what the end result will look like.



The instructions show installing the piece with the verticals first.  What the instructions don't tell you is that it's a good idea to paint the under porch pieces black so that you will see the black when viewing through the installed lattice.


So of course I didn't figure the black thing out until after I had affixed all three verticals to the structure.  It's a good thing that I never press down on the self adhesive pieces until I'm sure that everything is correct.  I used my hobby knife to carefully pry the pieces off and then paint the support pieces flat black.



Here's the same vertical in place with the black behind it.  Much better!  I had to be careful to align the holes for the steps.


Next I add all of the horizontal pieces and align the edges with the corners.  It's really starting to look like something!


Finally I add the third and final trim layer and that completes the lattice work.  I do have a gap on the left corner (out of the picture) that I'll fill with a piece of scrap lumber.


That's it for today, kids!  Next up I'll be working on the back porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment