Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 15 - Front Door & Screen Door Installed

It's a very busy day today, so only one picture and a little progress.  I glued the main front door to the frame in the open position and then used Api's "Incredibly TACKY" glue to attach the screen door to the door frame.  For this picture I bounced a LED flashlight light off of a piece of white paper underneath the inside of the building to provide a little interior lighting.  Without the light it was hard to see the open front door behind the screen door.  You may notice that the vertical walls appear curved, but that is distortion from the camera lens with the camera only being about 1-1/2" from the subject.


Over the next few days I've got some "stuff" to take care of so I'll be "off the grid" for awhile.  Don't worry - I haven't given up....I'm having too much fun!

4 comments:

  1. Don't know if anyone else has tried this... but I also use gray primer as an undercoat on a building that will be white. Then I spray the white coat at a higher angle. This way I have a slight "gray" shadow on the underside of window sills, the bottom of drop siding, etc. I found this really makes the details stand out better than just a flat white coat of paint.
    Has anyone else tried this?
    Virg
    Amite, LA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virg,
    I like your idea and will give it a try in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick-

    What a great blog! I didn't catch the post on MRH until a few days ago, and I had no idea that the post was about such a cool topic. I'm glad that you are getting your "fix" while in limboland.

    IF the photo in the upper right hand corner is the finished product, I'm anxious to see how you did the roof. It really looks great. And the grey before white paint trick is something that I'm going to try in the future. Nice work!

    Tom Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,

    Thank you for your kind words and I am glad that you are enjoying the blog. The picture in the upper right of this page is actually from Laser Art's web site and features their own laser cut paper shingles. My kit instructions said that it included their "new" style roofing material as their older kits had plastic shingle sections. I'll be sure to document the application process of the shingles here. I can't remember where I got the technique of a "whitewash" over a darker (in this case gray) base coat but it does allow for some interesting coloration.

    ReplyDelete